Visit to the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

On Thursday, we went to Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. This is, in my opinion, one of the most iconic churches in Saint Petersburg, maybe even in Russia. There are several pictures and paintings of its colorful onion domes and eclectic patterns sold to tourists, and it even has a SnapChat filter made after it (seen below).

The outside is breathtaking to look at, yet as beautiful as it is on the exterior, the interior somehow looks just as beautiful if not more.

The church is a tourist site, yet still hold services on Sundays. It was built to honor the  tsar Alexander II after his assassination (the tour guide explained that the material used on parts of the alter was the same material used for the graves of Alexander II and Catherine the Great at Peter and Paul Fortress), yet the huge chapel on the inside contains intricate mosaic icons covering the entire surface, strung together to depict Jesus’s life, from birth to miracle-making to crucifixion.

I have passed this church many times while walking around Nevsky Prospect (the souvenir stands in front of it are also extremely cheap, so I try to frequent there as well ;)), and I feel extremely lucky to finally get to see the inside of it. Years of work went into building it (1 year per 1 square meter of mosaic work, the tour guide said), so hopefully that can teach me a thing or two about work ethic and perseverance 😛