The Fixer (dir. Adrian Sitaru, Romania/France), reviewed by Melanie Carter

The Fixer is a Romanian film by a French director about a man who is known as being a “fixer”. I do not want to give in spoilers, but the basic plot line is a man who is a father and translator goes to Romania to translate for a journalist who is doing an investigation on human trafficking, specifically the forced prostitution of young girls in Paris. It was a super interesting film, and I was sad when it ended because I wanted more! The way in which the film was shot was like it was a behind the scenes look at the making of a documentary. There were many different angles from which interview scenes we taken. The sound got my attention because every small background noise was clearly distinguishable and made the movie seem very real unlike Hollywood movies sometimes. The last scene of the movie was very powerful, but had no words spoken. There were lots of sounds, but no distinguishable words being exchanged. It really showed the power of hand motions, facial expressions, and camera angels in getting across all the necessary information that words would normally convey.

Overall, it was such a powerful film and made me feel almost every emotion. I am very thankful for the chance to get to go to this festival, especially with A-list press status!

Fixer_Romania